Windows Photo Viewer allows you to open and view photos on your Windows 10 computer. However, at times you may face an error while trying to open a picture. The error message that Windows throws when you try to open a photo is “windows photo viewer can’t open this picture because you don’t have the correct permissions”.
The reason why this error can occur is due to a permission issue on your PC. Below I have listed few methods to fix the error “windows photo viewer can’t open this picture because you don’t have the correct permissions” on Windows 10.
How to fix “Windows photo viewer can’t open this picture” Error?
Method 1: Open Picture from Different Location
- Open the folder where your image is saved.
- Next, copy the photo and move it to a new folder.
- If possible, move the photo to a new Drive. That is if the photo is in D:/ drive then move it to C:/ drive.
- Now try to open the photo that you have moved to C:/ drive and see if that works, and the error is resolved.
Method 2: Enable Inheritance
You can try to fix this error by changing the inheritance settings for the Temp folder. Since Microsoft uses Temp folder for all the intermediate work, you may face the problem if the inheritance is disabled for temp folder.
So, what we can do here is enable inheritance for the temp folder in Windows 10 and see if that resolves the error.
Follow these steps to fix this error:
- Navigate to C:\ Users > Username ( change username to your username) > AppData > Local.
- Here find a folder named Temp.
- Next, right-click on the Temp folder and select Properties.
- Go to Security Tab in Properties window, and click on Advanced
- Click “Enable Inheritance” button.
- Then check “Replace all child project object permission entries with inheritable permission from this object” option.
- Click Apply and then click OK to save the changes.
That is it! Now open the photo that was showing “windows photo viewer can’t open this picture because you don’t have the correct permissions” error and see if this fix has resolved the issue.
Method 3: Take Ownership
The next step you can try to fix windows photo viewer can’t open this picture because you don’t have the correct permissions” error is to take ownership of the folder that is giving you the error. This method should fix the error if it is a permission related issue. Here is how to do it.
- Navigate to the folder in which the picture is located.
- Right-click on the folder and select Properties.
- Click on the Security tab, click Advanced from the bottom.
- Now click the Change link that you can see beside owner section.
- Now type the name of the user you want to give permission to and click Check Names.
- If the user is found, it will automatically add the user in the field. Click OK to proceed.
- If you get the error saying “the user with a entered name not found” then make sure that you have typed the name correctly.
- Now check “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” option.
- Click Apply and OK to save changes.
Now try to open the photo that was giving the error and see if this has resolved the problem.
Method 4: Change Permission
The next thing we can try is to change the permission just in case you may don’t have proper permission to view the files from a folder. Here is how to do it.
- First, log in to your computer as an Administrator.
- Open the folder or file location for which you want to change permission.
- Next, Right-click on the folder and select Properties.
- Go to the Security tab.
- Under “Group or user names:” select the user for which you want to change the permission.
- Once selected, click on Edit.
- Now you can check the boxes for the permission that you need.
- Next, click Apply and click OK to save the changes.